27 June 2014

Father's Day Weekend: Two Odes

The first ode is to Edelweiss.  We first met Edelweiss back around Christmas 2011. (Want a refresher?) Since that first weekend, we have traveled to that haven whenever possible. I took my parents there shortly after Zeke deployed, and Liam and I managed to hop on government-sponsored retreats there almost every month of those lonely nine months without Zeke. We used Edelweiss as our pit-stop on the move down from Bamberg to Vicenza (which happened to be Mother's Day weekend). Zeke even had a last-minute stop there on his way home from the Netherlands recently. Needless to say, it was only fitting for us to use our last available four-day weekend in Europe for a trip to Edelweiss. It also happened to be Father's Day weekend, so that was a bonus.

Before we link you to some pictures of our fun little trip, I just need to gush for a moment... which leads to the second ode. When Zeke was at the resort during his Netherlands travels, he booked a spot for me to get a massage at Edelweiss. On Father's Day. FATHER'S DAY. He kicked me out of the room after breakfast, single-handedly wielded Josie in a sling and Liam on a swing, and just made me so proud and thankful that he is my spouse and the father of our babies. I am not cool or talented enough to make a photo montage dedicated to him, so I am sneaking this post up while he reads 1812 in the living room.

I did the math and Zeke has been at home with us for only 18 of the past 54 months. As in, 1.5 years out of the 4.5 years of Liam's little life. Not in a nice big chunk either, but in bits and pieces and breaths. But even with the deployments, schooling, and field training, Zeke has taken advantage of every single moment with his children. He and I are on the same page in our parenting, and he has never missed a beat when it comes to disciplining, loving, or laughing with his babies. It is never easy to be a parent, and I am willing to bet that it is very difficult to be a father to young children. Moms may have more work in the early years, but we also have more opportunities to feel needed, connected, and fulfilled.

And then there is Zeke.




Despite his being pulled from us so many times, he is a natural at being the head of our household. He makes fatherhood look joyful and inspiring. I have spied some of the tenderest moments between Zeke and Liam and it busts my heart. It is so important for Liam to see that men -- real men -- are both strong and tender, confident and nurturing, provoking and respectful. Zeke not only embodies all the traits I have wanted in a husband and father but also wears them well for our children to see. Liam will grow into an amazing man if he just sticks to following the guide God has given him in his father. And when she grows up and finds her future, Josephine will be so very blessed if she builds her life with a man like her daddy.

I would make 100 babies with Zeke if I knew we could afford the time and energy, just to watch him show some beautiful little monsters what a great man looks like.  Then again, I really want him all to myself again someday, so I'm thinking 100 babies is out of the question.

Zeke said on Father's Day, as we sipped our Chimay on the porch while the kiddos rested, that Father's Day isn't a big deal because it is just a made-up holiday. He's probably right. But you know what?  Every day we should be celebrating the gifts that wonderful parents bring to this world. So even though today's isn't Father's Day, I am celebrating Zeke, the amazing father to our children. Thank you for being you, Zeke.





Okay, enough gushing. Enjoy all the pics.


1 comment: