28 January 2012

SNOW DAY!


It's about time, too.  I mean, come on!  We live in Germany!  All we heard about before coming here is how it's soooo cold, the winters are sooo long, it's completely unbearable, only the strongest of humans can survive, it takes stoic, tough, unfeeling, German blood to make it through the cold, dark depths of winter, blahdee blah blah.

I still don't usually wear winter jackets here.  Then again, I have Minnesota blood coursing through my veins -- and anyone who's anyone knows Minnesota is The Definition Of Winter Places.

I digress.  Snow Day today!  I was telling my bud Myra that my fairy godmother granted my birthday wish a day early, because I have been jonesing for snow and was hoping to have a white birthday for my golden birthday -- that's right, folks.  I'm turning 29 on the 29th.  One foot in the grave.  Ha!  Age has never really mattered to me, whether it's mine or someone else's.  People are not defined by their years on Earth but by what experiences and knowledge they acquire during that time.  Now my random knowledge may sometimes peg me as an octogenarian (just ask Zeke how many ridiculous "old lady sayings" I spout)... but I still feel (and often act) 12.

I think that counts as another digression.  Oops.  So Liam and I woke up this morning to the sound of metal scraping bricks:  The neighbors were shoveling their walkways!  For the first time since we moved here!  Within 20 minutes, I got Liam to scarf down his breakfast, permit me to bundle him in all kinds of fabulously mismatched winter wear (on top of his pajamas, of course, since it is a Snow Day, after all), and let me throw him outside for some fun in the snow.


We Came...

We Shoveled...

We Built A Snowman!

As I cleared the front area, Liam stared up at the sky, and with a gaping mouth and protruding tongue, chanted, "Snow!  Snow!  Snow!" between tastes of flakes.  Only yesterday, he still called snow "Lahtohs" -- his word for "water" -- and here we are, reaching a new milestone within 24 hours.  "Snow."  Hooray!


'sup! Check out my wicked cool snowman!

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure he is still under 2 years old? He looks so grown up! What fun you guys had! Personally, I don't miss the MN snow (did you know MN is called Minnesnowta?) but I would surely enjoy playing, building and shoveling with you guys! Again, thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing! Liam looks so grown up!!! and very, very cute :) And I love your "wicked" cool snowman too!!

    ReplyDelete