21 April 2011

An Officer And A Gentleman




I’d like everyone to meet our new lieutenant, 2LT Michael S. Kelly.  After a grueling 12 weeks of Officer Candidate School (OCS) classes, field operations, combatives, and overall unfun military grunt training, Zeke went down to Georgia a Staff Sergeant and has come out on the other side an officer, graduating in the top of his class.  When Liam and I went down to visit him about halfway through OCS, I quickly learned just how much Zeke’s peers appreciated him.  Everyone I met told me how much they learned from Zeke and how helpful he was, offering his experience and wisdom of 6+ years of service.  The positive impact Zeke had on and the camaraderie he developed with his classmates proves he’s chosen the right path.  And seeing the way his superiors embraced and supported his decision is an even greater testament.  I could not be more proud of him.  

When he joined the Army back in 2004, I don’t think he was expecting his career to follow the path it has taken.  But I also don’t think he ever expected to find himself married to The Most Fabulous Wife On Earth or be blessed with Sir Cuteness for a son… or be moving to GERMANY!   Was this part of any original plan we had in our lives?  No.  But the fun stuff never really is.  Just check your calendars:  "Dentist appointment, 2 June at 1100."  "Parent-teacher conference, 30 April at 1900."  I can hardly contain my excitement.

You know that game you play with yourself – "Five years ago, would I have ever imagined this path is the one I would be traveling?"  We’re venturing into much more exciting and uncharted territory than I ever would have thought.  Thank goodness for free will and the prerogative to follow your guts, even if you’re changing horses in mid-stream.  And thank goodness that Zeke is strong and motivated enough to dedicate his life to serving our country and defending our freedom to grow, change, and exist as Americans (anywhere in the world!)


On the way to Georgia for Daddy's graduation


Checking his blind spot -- such a responsible little man

1 comment:

  1. all 3 of you never cease to amaze me and I am so blessed to be sharing this life with you. I love this post even more than the first and am so looking forward to seeing you guys as soon as we possibly can!!!

    ReplyDelete